System Coordinator’s Role
The system coordinator is a vital part of the success of the Utrust Employee Appreciation Program in the school system. They are responsible for communicating with the board, superintendent and schools to build enthusiasm and to ensure that everyone receives the tools needed to celebrate appreciation days in fun and exciting ways.
For each of the appreciation days, we prepare three (3) packets: one for the system coordinator, one for elementary schools, and one for middle and high schools. These packets contain ideas and information to help schools celebrate the appreciation day.
There are three things the system coordinator should do:
1. Encourage and complement school coordinators
In addition to speaking with them personally from time to time, send an e-mail to the school coordinators before each appreciation day. Try to generate some enthusiasm for the theme and activities.
After the appreciation day, complement school coordinators on the way they carried out activities for the celebrations. When possible, share with them positive comments from the superintendent and/or board members.
2. Get the Board Involved
- Use the resolution of appreciation included in each system packet and have the board adopt it, with or without modifications, to officially establish the day in your school system. Don’t adopt one resolution at the beginning of the year to cover all days. Doing them individually means a great deal to each group involved. They like to be singled out for recognition. Also, the press is likely to cover each one so you might get eight articles rather than just one.
- Encourage principals to invite school board members to participate in selected celebration activities at their schools. This helps enhance the relationship between the board and employees.
- Following each appreciation day, ask the school coordinator from each school to forward to you stories, pictures and videos taken by the students.
- Give a report or use a slideshow to share with the board about how the day was celebrated in the system. The staff is honored when the board takes the time to hear about the celebration of appreciation days.
3. Let the Community Know
- Send a news release prior to the appreciation day to the local media. Use the one we have provided or modify it and send it on.
- After the appreciation day, send a few stories written by students about the activities that were conducted on that day to the local media.
- Ask your webmaster to put on your system’s website a Utrust provided link to photos, videos and written articles through phanfare. Once the link is put on the website, it will automatically update with new videos, pictures and written articles after each appreciation day.
This gives your students an extraordinary opportunity to showcase their work as reporters or photographers.